It’s normal for couples to struggle with issues from time to time in their marriage and occasionally challenges come from outside the marriage that test the relationship. To recognise a challenge or marital issue and seek help when we are struggling is a relationship strength. A good relationship counsellor can help with many issues that couples face.
Issues that can arise for married couples include difficulty with: self-image, anger regulation, depression, sexuality and intimacy, trust, compatibility, grief and loss, family dynamics, dealing with an affair, step-families, parenting, workplace issues, finances and conflict.
Experienced relationship counsellors can also assist with other more challenging issues as well: dealing with terminal illness, violence, abuse and addiction.
Benefits of Marriage Counselling
Some of the benefits couples can gain from consultation with an appropriately qualified and experienced marriage counsellor include:
- Deepening intimacy
- Mutual growth
- Developing stronger more effective communication with each other
- New tools and ways of reducing conflict and expressing anger in a healthy way
- Increasing personal confidence and strength so that it is safe to express and be authentic
- Finding safe ways of being vulnerable with one another and achieving a deeper connection
- Identifying and building on existing strengths in the relationship
Many couples who have strong healthy relationships can also benefit from counselling as a way to continue growing in love and exploring and developing new aspects of their relationship.
Our counselling services are currently priced at $100 per hour. However, this can be negotiated in cases of financial hardship. For more information or to make an appointment contact Catholic Marriage and Fertility Services on (08) 9241 5000.